I had SUCH a productive week at school. I think clubs will be my way of introducing conversational English to the students, but for now we are just focusing on the Spelling Bee. I have one club for 9-12 grade and only four 9th grade girls showed up. However, my other club for 7th and 8th graders had fourteen students show up J I was told that a lot of students didn’t know about the clubs last week and that more will come this week. It’s so much easier to teach to a small group so I’m hoping the class size stays manageable. I teach the clubs by myself and somehow the kids understand or at least pretend to understand what I say in English. They seem very excited about the Spelling Bee!
I’ve started getting more involved in some of my classes. I created a board with paperclips to use visual aids in the classroom and it actually worked. I had students fix scrambled sentences and change tenses. I created a few games for the older children and even managed to work hangman into a lesson plan. I’m still not teaching as much as I would like to… small steps right?
It is freezing here and I have gotten my first cold in country. My host family was convinced that I got my cold because my room was chilly. The next day my host father brought the wood heater down from the attic and spent all day installing it in our house. My host parents are pretty awesome. So while you enjoy the perfect weather in Florida, I’ll be buried under a sheep wool comforter and three layers of clothing =)
This unnamed fruit is from Tbilisi: any ideas?
As to the unnamed exotic fruit, colored orange, red and green, me thinks that is the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden of Eden!
ReplyDelete