Applicant Timeline

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

How The Fire Ruined My Heart

Fail. Sorry about not posting, things around here have been kind of crazy lately.  Armenians call March the ‘crazy’ month because they never know if it’s going to snow, rain or be sunny and warm.  It has most definitely NOT been sunny or warm.  The snow keeps falling and I keep wishing I was in sunny Florida.  Good thing I bought my place ticket to come home this summer!! I’ll be Florida and DC in late June and early July J

I moved out of my host family’s house and into my own house on March 1st.  I was so happy to move out and was actually looking forward to using a wood stove. Innocent Mistake #1.  All of my wood was wet, but I thought I would have no problem beginning my fire. Naïve Mistake #2. My taxi driver bought me kerosene at the gas station and I used almost half a bottle trying to light the wood. Stupid Mistake #3. Words of warning to future volunteers: NEVER put kerosene on live or semi-live coals. Maybe this is common knowledge that I missed during my childhood.  Turns out I should have went on more camping trips or barbeques. A huge explosion erupted from my stove when I tried to light the wet wood with an insane amount of kerosene on it.  I burnt my clothes, hair and one of my hands very badly.  I had to throw away my clothes, cut 4 inches off my hair, and suffer through a painful burn that took 2 weeks to heal.  My quasi- sitemate Danelle took care of me and I’ve recovered with no scars except for my pride.  My entire town found out that I had burned myself.  Now, every day, I get asked if I can burn the wood and start a fire.  Maybe I should have stayed with my host family for the rest of winter, but I’m sure come November the same thing would have happened to me.
Life lesson learned: I should have joined Girl Scouts as a child.  Maybe if I were alumni they would have sent me some charity Thin Mints. 

In a few days I will post pictures of my house! Promise J
Also: School is alright, my clubs are awesome, and I’ll be celebrating St. Patty’s day in style with other volunteers this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment