Applicant Timeline

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Say Cheese


Out with the mosquitos and in with the mice. I have a family of mice living in my house, specifically my kitchen and bedroom.  I went into several stores in my village to learn that I had to go into town to buy any sort of trap.  I went to Noyemberyan and bought a glue trap that the owner assured me would catch the mice.  Well, the mice were able to escape from the trap and for the past week they have had the run of my house.  I’ve even been sleeping in the living room on a wooden bench because I am so afraid one will crawl on me at night.  I’m going to Yerevan tomorrow and I will be stocking up on real mouse traps.  Get ready for a showdown. Thankfully my new sitemates are sympathetic and put up with my crazy mouse talk.  This second year is going to fly by since I have more people to hang out with after school and on weekends. Here are some pictures of us on a hike from my village to Noyemberyan:


 
 

4 comments:

  1. hi ashley!
    Once I tried traps but they did not work as the mice was smarter than that mechanical food-trap. Try adopting a cat as it will help. If you are allergic to cats, there are those small devices that you plug into an electrical outlet that emits a low vibration of sound intolerable by mice that make them run away. Probably you will be unable to find those devices in Armenia and have them to be send to you from US. Then they should have of course adapter to European type plug with power tolerance of 225 watts that works in Armenia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is possible that those are birds (swallow) and not mices since mice does not make sound but birds do. You have to see the mice by eye, or find their droppings (which are black and looks in form like caraway seeds) in the kitchen or pantry to be certain. In second thoughts about the traps, my misadventure was in US with American mice which are very smart since they are graduates from Walt Disney schools, the Armenian mice may not be so smart and the traps can work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see and be informed how this story "Of Mice and Men" will end. A friend of mine said that you should look for the nest/nests of the mice in bedroom or other rooms by moving the furniture and looking under, like those of the bed and closet; usually the nest is in the form of circle made of twigs. Also if there are babies of mice you should hear their voice of making low chirping. If there there is small hole by the wall, specially wooden wall, that is indication that the nest is behind the hole. Good luck with your mice hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone suggested that this one would work better than the rest --Directing vocal prayer to God to keep the mice away from your home. God then would speak to the mice to go away and leave your residence for another place, most likely in the wilderness. God is awesome, isn't He? Taking care of our small needs and the big ones...no matter how small and how big!

    ReplyDelete