We made it to Armenia! A current volunteer is broadcasting wifi from his computer so I only have a few minutes of internet access. We are at hotel in the mountains about an hour outside of Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. Soon I should have a phone and internet access if you want to chat :) They say that the internet is very slow, but most volunteers still use it. Armenia is beautiful! The weather was a mix of rain, sun and a little chilly in the shade (only if you're from Florida haha). We are able to take naps this morning when we arrived and then shower, thank goodness! I'm starting realize how hard it is going to be to live without constant running water. Winter is going to be killer.
We learned which towns we will be living in for training, and we move in with our host families on Tuesday. I really want to start learning Armenian so I am so excited to move in with an Armenian family. The food so far has been interesting.....the highlights have definitely been apricot jam and delicious bread. So. Much. Bread. I will post more soon =)
The weather sounds like Buffalo!! Mike and I are glad you had a safe trip.
ReplyDeleteUncle Michael and Sharon
bahaha. the bread. At least it's tasty. p.s. there's a street in Tampa called Armenia, and I passed it today and thought of you. twice. When can we talk?! Hopefully before next weekend? :) p.p.s. this is Amanda in case you forgot my blog name.
ReplyDeleteBarev Ashley: I don't know you, but I'm 50% Armenian and have been to Armenia twice now (both in 2010). Unfortunately, my Mom did not teach me Armenian (not to mention she spoke Western Armenian, not Eastern Armenian), so it was a bit difficult. You might want to listen to Pimsleur's Eastern Armenian CD and/or look on Birthright Armenia's web site for its free Eastern Armenian tutorial. Tim
ReplyDelete