On the upside, I definitely lucked out with my host family. I live with a host father, mother, brother, sister-in-law and their 3 month old son. Surprisingly we have an indoor toilet, hot water and washing machine (though I am worried about hang drying my underwear haha.) As far as food goes, I have had hotdogs for breakfast, chicken necks and more desserts than I want to remember. Everything is smothered in oil. One of the best meals I have had is khorovats- basically an Armenian style bbq that is delicious. It can be chicken or pork, but it is roasted over a pit with potatoes to make a fantastic meal. I first ate khorovats when our neighbors threw a party to celebrate the safe return of their son from the military. There was soo much food and alcohol, but thankfully my host sister took me home after an hour so I didn’t have to embarrass myself dancing. Once I get to know my village better I plan on running to stay in shape or else I will definitely gain weight. I went on an awesome hike with the other volunteers to a famous church, but that is all as far as exercise goes.
We have language lessons for 4 ½ hours every day except Sunday and technical trainings twice a week. Seven other volunteers live with me in my village, but I get to see the other TEFL volunteers twice a week. Once every two weeks all of the volunteers meet in a central town for more training. This is where I bought my internet modem (it looks just like a flash drive) and had a great day hanging out with the other volunteers. We each had to teach an 8 minute lesson on any skill that we have to practice our teaching skills. I presented how to teach swim lessons and it was a big hit. I realized that I want my site assignment to be teaching younger children English, so hopefully I will be able to change my assignment during our site placement interviews. Next time I’ll tell you about life in the village and my crazy experiences as a passenger in cars, taxis and minibuses!
So happy you're having some good times! You definitely lucked out with some indoor plumbing! I saw Armenia street again and thought of you!
ReplyDeleteSO happy for you Ashley! I get teary-eyed reading about the amazing things you are doing! Thinking of you :)
ReplyDelete