Applicant Timeline

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

Last night we celebrated with our village.  We decided to have an American style potluck for the 4th of July with our host families.  I attempted to make brownies and banana bread.  The brownie pan was tilted so ½ of the brownies turned out good while the other super thin half refused to separate from the pan.  The banana bread almost turned out deadly.  What I thought was baking soda turned out to be medicine for cuts….. Long story short my host mom saved me from poisoning the other host families.  I accidently put salt instead of sugar into the other banana bread so not a very successful baking day. We had a potluck at our school and even sung the American national anthem for our families.  Then we went to an open field to play games with the kids.  I played soccer even though I haven’t played in years and I ended up hurting my leg.  It swelled a bit and now I walk with a limp, but we are pretty sure it’s just a bad strain at this point. Moral of the story: don’t try to pick up soccer in a country where every single person will be better at it than you. 

Today I have a language interview to gauge how much I have learned the past month.  We have been practicing for the past few days so I should do ok.  Tomorrow I find out which village I will be placed in for the next two years.  Needless to say I am freaking out a bit, but it really is out of my control.  I want to be somewhere warm, near other volunteers and with an indoor toilet.  We shall see…
I’ve decided to start a reading list on my blog.  Current volunteers say they read an insane amount of books during the winter so I thought I’d get a head start ;) So far I have read Peter Pan and the Game of Thrones.  Mom: Thanks again for the Kindle, I think it will become the most useful item I brought to Armenia!
P.S. Letters and packages take about 2 weeks to arrive to my village.  You can send anything to the following address as long as you mail it from America before August 1st:
13 Torozyan Street, High School, Nor Hajn, 2412, Armenia
Soon I will give you my new address that I will use for the next two years!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Is there anything you need/miss from the US? Can't wait to hear where you're headed to next!

    ReplyDelete