Applicant Timeline

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Slow Life

Update: I finally showered!! I worked up the courage to ask how to heat the water for a bath.  My host brother showed me, but I still don’t understand how to heat the water. When the water was heated I got in the tub and discovered a hidden, ancient-looking showerhead.  I actually took a semi-shower and it was wonderful. 

The highlight of my week was definitely on Saturday. The PC director traveled to my region and visited a few volunteers at our sites.  We went to my school, the art school and my house.  It was great showing him around my village.  Then we ate dinner at a married couple’s house in town and it was delicious. They have been volunteers for the past year and showed us around town. Even though no other volunteers live in my village, I’m lucky to be so close to a few other volunteers!   
Some random things about my host family:
My host brother listens to the same cd on repeat, a mix of Kelly Clarkson, Enya and Celine Dion.  I had a great time listening to My Heart Will Go On.  I can speak some Armenian with my host mom, but for some reason I just don’t understand my host father or host brother. I think he leaves for school in October in another city.
My host father works in a village about 30 minutes away where another volunteer lives.  I’m hoping to hitch rides with him to visit the other volunteer. He loves listening to music and his ringtone in Lady Gaga’s Edge of Glory.
My host mother said she would teach me how to knit, but she totally took over and it now knitting me a scarf. Then we went into town together yesterday to buy yarn for her to make me a sweater.  I paid 4000 dram for a possible green homemade sweater that I didn’t even ask for. Sigh.
Cultural differences aside, I actually really like my host family so far. Thank goodness because I don’t know anyone else in the village yet.  I've spent most days reading, eating and sleeping. Life is pretty slow here until school starts…   

No comments:

Post a Comment