Applicant Timeline

Friday, August 19, 2011

Swearing-In and the Big Move

Wow, what a past few days.  I am now an official Peace Corps volunteer!  The ceremony was great and all of our families and current volunteers came.  Later that night my family invited about 20 people over and had a goodbye khorovats for me.  I stayed up past midnight just hanging out with my family for the last time. On Thursday we left early in the morning to gather in Nor Hajn to move to our new sites.  The families started crying first, closely followed by the volunteers and language teachers.  I held it together for a while, but there was no stopping the tears once they started.

 I rode on a marshrutni with 3 other volunteers to the north.  I had to tell the driver where my house was and thank goodness I remembered.   My host mother was waiting for me and we moved in my many, many bags.  Last time I was here I told her that I would speak much better Armenian in August.  Well, she called me out on that statement because she says I still don’t understand anything she says.  After a 15 minute talk I realized that she wanted me to pack a bag and spend the night at her mother’s house.  I called PC because I didn’t know if that was allowed or not.  They said the village she wanted to take me to was too close to the Azerbaijan border so I couldn’t go. Ever. Oh well.  I took a long nap and then ate dinner outside with my new host family.  Afterwards I stayed out talking with my host mother and eating sunflower seeds off of an actual sunflower. 
My room is nice, though I can hear the chickens and roosters 24/7 (whoever said they only make noise at dawn lied).  The light to my outhouse is in my parent’s bedroom so that will be interesting if I have to go in the middle of the night.  I have yet to conquer the bucket bath. Options: Ask my already busy mother to show me how to light the intimidating fire, wait a few more days until she asks me if I want a bath, or just forgo bathing altogether.  Yesterday I did absolutely nothing and I know I will be bored until school starts.  My schedule seems to be sleep in, read a book, take a nap, and watch a movie on my computer.  Today my family is going to a wedding and leaving me behind L On Saturday I get to go into a bigger town and have dinner with a few volunteers so at least I have something to look forward too….







2 comments:

  1. Congratulations both for the graduation and for your room with a view and a large terrace. I think you should explain to the landlady that as American you take bath often and she should show you how things function, usually in the villages there they take bath once a week or two weeks but they take their time to bath, however tell her you prefer to take it each day or every other day and for a much shorter time. As to the bucket-bath, its simple, Bathsheba was seen by King David as she was taking a bucket-bath on the roof and offered her to help in bathing by pouring the water on her head, the rest of the story you are familiar with; of course you can not take it at the terrace as there would be a peeping David around but you can do it in your own room; you need one of those tray-like with elevated edges buckets similar to those you see kids are playing with in the shore of the sea. Then you heat some water in a container in the kitchen and bring it to your room. You sit in the tray-like bucket on a small wooden sit or stand by and take water from the container by a cup and pour it on your body and on the regions you want to clean. After tidening up you can throw out the water in the tray from your Terrance down if you wish..and if it falls on a david passing by tell him you thought its Vartavar time.
    Take your time until school starts in 10 days to know your village and its people by having walks and accepting invitations to have a cup of coffee with them as they are as curious as you by now and looking forward to meet and talk with you, but you should generally avoid the young males and the males in general, or at least be careful from them, as your beauty can be temping to them. May your life in the village be rewarding and happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Ashley, on your graduation! Your new family seems excited to have you stay with them. I'm sure your Armenian is good enough and will get even better once you are with children. As you teach them English, in return they will eagerly teach you their own language! Your new home is lovely and bright, with lots of light in every room and beautiful views down into the valley. I especially liked seeing the living room where you'll watch TV and do some knitting. I spotted the skein of yarn on the table and am curious about how your knitting is coming along. What are you making? I'd love some pictures... Your crafty friend, Adele

    ReplyDelete